On the road by 7:00 a.m. we arrived in Antigua by 8:00 a.m and the streets were beginning to fill with parked cars. I was struck by the beauty of the clouds--puffy and white hanging close over our heads.
After a delicious early breakfast suggested by our hosts, scrambled eggs, platanos, frijoles, cheese and fresh pineapple juice, we headed towards the main park to sit, waiting for the tiendas to open.
Clate and Carol Mask showed us around town. They are serving a mission in Guatemala City preserving historical records from the early Latter-day Saints who were baptized in the 1940's as well as memorabilia from the time, and oral histories. It will be housed in a LDS church history building nearby the Guatemala Temple.
Carol showed me some of her favorite tiendas and open market places. At this one I purchased a huipil bag like those in the photo. Many of the church buildings don't have Internet, so I carry large Spanish language scriptures, my marking pencils, a bottle of water and hand wipes.
This cotton tela was woven on a backstrap loom by a woman who is part of a cooperative set up in the 1980s. I just had to have this table runner.
Enough for now. Here's Tercera Avenida, another picturesque street corner.





No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.