Jan 27, 2019

ANTIGUA-JANUARY

It isn't hard to talk Elder and Sister Mask into taking me to Antigua.  It's one of their favorite places to go for breakfast.  I offered to pay for their breakfast and they felt it a fair deal.  I was overjoyed and Gary was happy to stay home and do Saturday things.  We took LeeAnn Call with us since it was also a favorite haunt of hers when she and Rich were serving a dental mission here in 2013-2015. She hadn't been back since then.


Posada de Don Rodrigo is where we always eat.  After a satisfying breakfast we climbed the stairs to check out the volcanoes.  Fuego is active today.  (Hard to see in the background).


LeeAnn Call, Carol Mask and me


Walking around Antigua before the crowds arrive Carol took us to an empty side yard of a church that stores many of the statues for Semana Santa (Holy Week) and the nightly processionals.  Since we will be in Antigua in April to see part of this I was very excited.


On the way out of Antigua we drove to an adjoining town to visit this factory that makes wood fruit, bowls and other items.  The Doña and her son are standing in the doorway.


Woodworking tools and machines.

Carol really wanted this gilded solid wood pear, but we all agreed that it probably wouldn't fit in her suitcase when her mission is finished in July.  I purchased a more practical wooden gilded bowl that would fit in my suitcase.


This a poor photo but you can see there are many treasures in a very small room.  I saw several things way at the back on the top shelf but there wasn't time to explore any further.  We left the workshop by stepping out through the Doña's kitchen to the street.  

Thanks to the Masks for another exciting Antigua Saturday!

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.