Jul 20, 2019

MADRES, NENAS Y NINOS


Dr. Matthews and Hermana Matthews arrived to take the dental missionaries to deliver newborn baby kits to two public hospitals in outlying areas.  They have been so faithful in gathering blankets, caps, cloth diapers, pins, socks, clothing, soap and shampoo from their friends in the United States and have them shipped down or brought down by visitors and other missionaries.  Some of the hermanas serving here have also made baby blankets in their spare time after a full day of missionary service.  It's been inspiring to watch the whole process which was started by a hermana dental missionary six or seven years ago.


Left to Right: Elder Lippincott, Hna. Lippincott, Dr. Matthews, Hna. Matthews, Elder Fisher, Hna. Fisher, Hna. Wright, Elder Wright.  The bags in front are full of newborn baby kits.


Arriving at the national hospital in Chimaltenango, about 35 KM northwest of Guatemala City.  This is the parking lot.  Glad to have one instead of parking on a narrow street.



As we entered the maternity hospital I saw this colorful poster as we walked up the stairs to the second floor.  La leche materna (breastfeeding) is encouraged throughout the country. 

The maternity ward was austere as many hospitals wards can be, but the spirit of new birth hit me as I walked in with the others.  The halls were lined with numerous beds and most rooms had six to eight beds. It had been a busy week in the maternity ward and I could hear several babies' loud protestations.  They were awaking to a new world; they were hungry!

It was so heartening to see that each mother had her own bed with a sheet and a blanket.  Some of the babies were several days old but I talked with two mothers who had just delivered the night before.  They looked dazed and tired but they had their babies close, very close to them.  Some were attempting to teach their newborn how to suck and draw la leche materna from their breast.  It was definitely a new experience for both mother and baby.  Mostly they just looked tired.  I didn't see one father in any room, but I did talk with one tia (aunt) who had come to give her niece support and encouragement.  The men were probably out working in the fields or had day jobs that prevented them from being their with their loved ones.


This is the first nena (baby girl) for this mother.  Our baby kit is above the baby's head.  She made sure I knew she had a "nena" not a "nino" since the kits are blue for boys and pink for girls. 


We drove from Chimaltenango to Jocotenango, a small municipality of 20,000 which is close to Antigua.


Main entrance of the hospital San Pedro de Bethancourt.  Out on the street were quite a few open tiendas selling everything from disposable diapers, baby bottles and toys to things for new mothers.  It had a happy feeling.


We found the maternity hospital around the back where a security guard allowed us to pass through.

This public hospital was much busier and had more staff.  The maternity halls were lined again with beds.  Many beds were empty.  We were not allowed into neonatal intensive care but instead gave newborn kits to hospital staff.  I waited until the others delivered the kits and stepped into several rooms to talk to the mothers and see their precious babies.



Some older mothers had other children at home and were assisting the newer mothers and talking to them.  That was comforting to see.  One experienced mother told me that she had two boys and one girl and this new nena was going to be her last.  I understand that birth control is not readily available to these women, but she sounded like she was determined to make it so.

One hundred thirty kits were delivered to happy mothers.  All were so grateful in spite of their fatigue.  When they leave the hospital to join their families it will be joyous.  Soon we will see this again and remember this wonderful day.


💕💕💕💕💕

ADDENDUM:
As is life, also is death.  Having quiet private conversations with some of the young mothers lying on beds in the halls I found that a few had lost their babies during childbirth.  I fought back tears as I prayed to know Spanish words that might comfort and encourage them.  I prayed they would see in my eyes their sorrows and feel my gentle loving touch on their shoulder since I also knew the pain and loss of a child in utero.  

Knowing that Christ has enough love for each of us as we experience pain and sorrow I am at peace.  He succors us as we allow Him to enter our lives to love and lift us.  That is enough for me.

💔💔💔💔💔






3 comments:

  1. Such a kind service you all offered that day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your touching story, so well expressed. Truly you are doing as the Savior would do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad, but tender story. I love how you give of yourself in these situations, as your heart is big and can help succor many. I agree with Susan.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.