Aug 10, 2019

MY KIND OF DAY


We took an Uber to the Mercado Central to buy neckties for the young boys in our Santa Lucia Cotz church congregation.  When Gary asked the tienda owner if she sold ties with "clips" she said, "un minuto" and raced down the aisle and up the stairs to an outside vendor and soon came rushing back with a handful of ties.  Gary took five.  They are actually navy and red.


Walking outside Gary saw a jewelry vendor and said, "Let me know if you need help."  Bargaining is different now as we have found in several other countries.  This is how it works here in Guatemala City.  "I like this one.  How much is it?"  "Oh, do you have a different one that costs a little less?"  It helps if you want to purchase more than one.


I saw these and thought they would be perfect for the younger girls at church.  They were 15 quetzals each.  I asked how much for four.  The vendor said, "dos por veinticuatro." (two for 24Q).  I said, "dos por veinte" (two for 20Q, about $1.30 each) and he agreed.


I purchased ten necklaces.  Then I saw the bracelets....some of the girls at church wear these.


They reminded of the friendship bracelets our daughter Emily used to make, wear and share in middle school. Each strand is a separate bracelet.  I didn't do so well with these, (5Q or $0.65 each) but I still purchased fifteen knowing how much fun I'd have at church tomorrow.


Juan Paulo was a good sport about it and we both had fun.  His booth is right outside the east stairs of the market, close to the parakeets, mice, and chickens in case you want some cheap jewelry.

3 comments:

  1. Such a fun glimpse into your days in Guatemala! The kids will be delighted :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8/11/2019

    Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure the young women all loved those. Can't wait to see all this!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.