I remember when our family moved to Lima, Peru when I was in high school. It was a cultural shock, but Mother worked hard to make our house a home. One day we tromped into a local grocery store looking for a cake mix. Mother glanced at the shelves of products, nodded "yes," and I grabbed the cardboard box. When the cake was baked and presented at the dinner table our mouths were watering in anticipation. It looked delicious, but alas it was a one-layer cake, hardly enough to feed a hungry family of nine!
In Guatemala City, it is always humid. Every single item excepting fruit and vegetables is packaged in some kind of container. The crackers are not in boxes but in cellophane or plastic. The milk carton sit on a grocery shelf until it is opened, then it goes in the refrigerator. We continue to purchase storage containers to keep food like salt, sugar and flour dry and useable.
We were in Novex, a hardware store and Gary purchased this collapsible drying rack. I was skeptical, but it works well and can be stored. The apartment dryer never seems to get things dry.
I dropped our taped up ancient door opener on the floor. It fell apart and we saw the innards. It looked like it had been repaired several times before we got it. I took it to the office manager and asked for a newer model. It was fixed, but guess what? It's just like the old one only worse. Keeps the economy going, eh.
On the way to work: how to read the meter quickly without damage or theft.
One the way home: get your shoes made (leather) or resoled (plastic).
There's so much more to tell, but really we wouldn't have it any other way.







Yep...we're living the "vida loca".
ReplyDeleteSuch a fun glimpse into the everyday moments of life! :)
ReplyDeleteLove these details of your life there. :)
ReplyDelete