Nov 4, 2018

Día de Todos Los Santos y Día de Los Fieles Difuntos

November First and Second Guatemalans celebrate Dia de Todos Los Santos (All Saints Day) and Dia de Los Fieles Difuntos (Day of the Dead) 

One of the other dentists, recently took us on an after work trip to see the Guatemala City Cemetery that was started in 1880.  It was not at all what I expected having been raised in the United States, but I was reminded that I hadn't seen any advertisement for mortuary services in our Guatemalan travels, so consequently quick burials.  Just like in the movie "Coco" there were many families celebrating near the crypts and on the cemetery streets.  The mood was one of quiet celebration rather than prolonged sadness.  These photos tell it all:






These streets appear very deserted, but I chose not to take photos of the families.

IF YOU HAVE A STRONG STOMACH: This Washington Post article was fascinating and horrifying, but really a pictorial of life and death.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the warning about the article! Still, some neat insights into how other cultures respect their dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, despite the formal name of the celebration, it's actually a celebration of life and family. Other cultures have much to offer.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.